Last Friday we were able to join in a workshop put on by POPFASD (Provincial Outreach Program for Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder). This was an excellent presentation and I was kind of surprised to see such a professional event put on by an organization out of Prince George that was for the entire province. I learned a lot about FASD and it really felt like a personal presentation. It was down to earth and given from a teacher’s perspective with real examples and suggestions.

I am really glad I got the opportunity to attend this presentation. Main points in the presentation included relationships, awareness, accommodations, and strengths of the individual (POPFASD, 2020). Relationships are so important in the classroom. FASD can often be invisible and this makes it difficult to diagnose.

When it comes to any student that is struggling in the classroom it is important to point out their strengths (POPFASD, 2020). Students may not realize their strengths if they are struggling in class but this can lift up their spirits and create a belief in themselves. I believe that every student is capable and special. I think all people should think that they are valuable and hopeful.

Eight keys for helping students with FASD to succeed according to the POPFASD are: concrete, consistency, repetition, routine, simplicity, structure, and supervision (POPFASD, 2020). These eight keys to success are all meant to support the student. They may not need all of these keys. They may need only one or two at different times but using these keys in the classroom as a teacher is something I am adding to my toolbox and will use when seeking to assist my students.

The most important “master key” in students’ success with FASD is trusting relationships (POPFASD, 2020). I think this is so important for every student as a teacher. People learn willingly from those they trust. Taking the time to build these relationships through genuine interactions and feedback will ensure a great environment for students with FASD to thrive and feel comfortable with who they are and what they can accomplish in their learning.

Provincial Outreach Program for Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (POPFASD). (2020, October 23). An FASD-Informed Approach. https://www.fasdoutreach.ca/resources/