An eraser is usually something that gets rid of mistakes, makes them disappear so that you forget about them. I once had a teacher that could have thought of me as a mistake and could have ignored me in the class but he didn’t. He noticed me and complimented me even when I didn’t feel I deserved it. He made me feel good even when I didn’t perform well. Our relationship was special and I still see him as a friend. I didn’t always do my homework for his class and yet he didn’t get angry. He still treated me the same as any of the other students in the class. I expected to feel shame and be reprimanded for my lack of performance but I did not. He was real and personable. He loved teaching and new everyone by name. He took a real interest in his students. I want to be that for my students. I want to make them feel good when they don’t. I want to compliment my students even when they don’t deserve it. I want to notice them and make them feel special. An eraser is a good tool. It makes negativity disappear the same way I want negativity to disappear in my classroom. I want to replace pessimism with optimism, hostility with peace, and isolation with teamwork. I want to start each new day with a fresh mindset. I don’t want to let my mind build up negative thoughts towards any of my students. Rather, I would like to treat them with equality and view them as learners. Ultimately this is my job as a teacher, to look beyond how I am treated as a teacher. Teachers are not to disrespect when disrespected. They are not to ignore a student that is not showing interest. Teachers are motivators and inspirers. They are supposed to spark imagination in their students. I want to orchestrate a classroom where students want to discover and explore the world around them. I want my students to inquire and think for themselves. I want to encourage my students and make them believe that they are important. In a world of so much pressure and confusion I want to infuse my students with self-confidence and belief. I want to be a good eraser.

Eraser